1 Mar 2012

Eating out advice


If you are trying to lose weight, eating out can be a daunting, and sometimes terrifying process. Everything on the menu looks so damn delicious, but at the same time, might have hundreds of unwanted calories hidden inside the cooking methods and dressings, which can make even a seemingly harmless veggie side your worst nightmare. Meanwhile, if it’s not a chain restaurant, they aren’t required to have nutrition facts.


But, you deserve a delicious meal. And you deserve to be healthy. Therefore, don’t be afraid to be a diva about it. Ask the waiter how things on the menu are prepared, and ask if you could have them prepared in a healthier way. They’ll usually say yes, or they’ll take a trip to the kitchen to ask. 


I’m pretty non confrontational myself (not that this is really a confrontation…), but I’m starting to get better at demanding (or rather, politely asking for) healthier alternatives. I used to just get “a salad, dressing on the side, please.” But, let’s be honest. That gets dull.


Today, I ordered a DELICIOUS omelet at a fancy restaurant, but only after asking if I could have it prepared with just egg whites. And I could! Not to mention, everyone at the table followed my suit. And the omelet, I must say, was very tasty.
So do it. Request your veggies steamed, not buttered. Get your chicken grilled, not breaded or fried. Ask for egg whites. Get the dressing on the side. Get the mayo on the side too. 


It may sound whiney or picky to you, but it’s really no big deal, especially if you ask with a smile and a “please.” :)



1 comment: